This isolated reserve contains a pine grove, numerous interesting tree specimens as well as a marsh. Its lack of accessibility makes it an ideal natural habitat for birds and wildlife.
The original 3.5 acres was a gift from George K. and Frances Sanborn in 1959. George was an AVIS trustee at the time and provided this gift as an incentive for others to donate land. An additional one-half acre on the east bank of the Shawsheen between the original parcel and Route 93 was purchased by AVIS in 1966.
The Shawsheen River Greenway Dedication:
In April, as result of collaboration between AVIS and the Conservation Commission we celebrated the creation of the Meg Batcheller trail through the Sanborn and Lightning Tree Reservations.